Happy (almost) Valentines day!
Thought I’d recreate the old favourite triple chocolate melt-in-the-middle cookies with this festive twist. Everyone loves red velvet, right?! Although these don’t have the typical tang of red velvet, they’re super tasty and really eye-catching. They take about 20 minutes to throw together, and then you just have to chill them in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking for about 10 minutes. Easy? I think so.
Makes 15 cookies:
185g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
1.5 tsp cornflour
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g softened butter
85g brown sugar (light or dark)
110g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp red gel food colouring (this is the one I use)
300g good quality white chocolate (2 150g bars of Green & Blacks works well)
White chocolate chunks/chips to decorate
1. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornflour and bicarb in to a bowl
2. Beat the butter and sugars together for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy using an electric whisk
3. Add the egg, vanilla and red food colour to the butter and sugar and mix until bright red (don’t be alarmed, it’ll darken when you add the flour mixture). Chop half of the white chocolate in to chunks.
4. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low, stir through the white chocolate chunks and add the rest of the flour.
5. Scoop the cookie dough in to golf-ball sized balls and wrap two squares of white chocolate in the middle, covering it completely.
6. Place in the fridge for 2 hours minimum, I left mine overnight.
7. Remove cookie dough balls from the fridge and heat an oven to 180FAN. Place, 2 inches apart on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes (don’t overbake!)
8. Stud with white chocolate chunks as soon as they come out of the oven and leave to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes.
These will keep in an airtight container for about 3 days – if they last that long!
For more valentines inspiration, check out:
Red velvet cheesecake brownies
Enjoy your day with loved ones/family/friends/Netflix – I will be spending mine with my company law coursework 🙂
One thought on “Red Velvet Melt-In-The-Middle Cookies”