It’s been hot here. The heatwave was intense. My international readers might look upon us Brits with mild amusement for melting in British summer sun but really, I was in Central London on the hottest day in England for like, 9 years and it was 37 degrees! I mean, fair enough it has dropped 10 degrees since then but it’s still warm, you know? The point I think I wanted to make was that baking in hot weather isn’t as fun as baking in cold weather. I don’t know, but for some reason it felt less comforting. Luckily, there’s no faff involved with these blondies.
Ok I’m not actually sure if these qualify as blondies.. I always thought blondies were white chocolate brownies but I just don’t know what else to call these. I guess, the whole thing is kind of like a huge baked cookie that’s so thick it has turned a bit cakey… But cakookie just didn’t work for me. For taste/texture, think the inside of a soft baked cookie but with no crunchy bit!
Let’s talk about how the brown butter intensifies the brown sugar flavour of these blondies… If you’ve never made brown butter before, you need to get on board with it. Think butter, but intensified. The solids in the butter are gently cooked until they turn brown and release a nutty aroma. It’s actually one of the best smells in the world IMO. Brown butter deepens flavours and works with most things but with cookies/cakes, it really makes itself known. You could, of course, skip the browned butter avenue and just make these with normal melted butter. That would work too.
Makes 9 blondies:
130g light brown soft sugar
120g dark brown soft sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
210g plain flour
1 packet chocolate chips/chunks
1) Preheat the oven to 160FAN. To brown the butter, cut in to cubes and heat slowly in a pan. It will take a few minutes before it foams up and starts to turn brown. Stir the butter regularly so it doesn’t burn and as soon as you smell the nutty aroma, take it off the heat.
2) Let it cool slightly before adding the sugars and mix together. You can use a handheld mixer or do this by hand.
3) Add the eggs, vanilla and baking powder and mix until combined.
4) Stir through the flours using a spatula and then stir in half of the chocolate chips.
5) Pour into the tin and scatter the remaining chocolate chips and sprinkle some sea salt over the top for that super on trend salty/sweet taste
6) Bake for 25-30 mins and leave to cool in the tin for at least half an hour before cutting. These are best served warm (and with a dollop of ice cream), so microwave them if you need to!
First BBH GIVEAWAY is now closed! Thank you so much to everyone who entered, either by comment, email or instagram! I wish I could send you all gifts!
The winner is @risha_pea!
Here is her submission:
And here are some other BBH creations!
One thought on “Chocolate Chip Brown Butter Blondies”
My god, these look so delicious. I shouldn’t be on your blog when I’m fasting…
LikeLiked by 1 person